**Tuesday, May 14th is an early release day.
This week in reading we will be reading the fictional story Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe. We will use this story to focus on identifying the author’s purpose, or their reason for writing the story. An author writes a story for one of three reasons. We can remember these reasons by thinking about pie!
Authors write to:
- Persuade – convince you to do or believe something
- Inform – teach you facts and information about a topic
- Entertain – tell a story to make you laugh and enjoy
We will also be learning about homophones. Homophones are two (or more) words that sound the same but do not look the same (meaning they are spelled differently) or mean the same. Check out the poster below for an example!
This week in math we will be reviewing and testing what we have learned so far about money. Students will be tested over the following materials:
- Identifying coins based on their name, appearance, and value
- Counting money amounts of like coins (all the same type)
- Counting money amounts of mixed coins (variety of coins)
- Building different money amounts less than $2.00
- Comparing money amounts using greater than and less than symbols (> < )
Thanks for stopping by! Check back next week for more updates on our learning!